Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What is wrong with people? part I

Some of you may remember back over a year ago when I would frequently post articles I would find on crime in the news from MSN.com. That was back when I was working at the newspaper and had way too much time on my hands to read the news online while I was at work. I have been having extra time at work recently but here I love my job and actually keep asking for more. Slightly different atmosphere. But I digress.

In this recent article on MSN.com, police in Reno, NV have arrested and charged Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, with Child Neglect because they were too busy playing Internet and video games to care for their two children, ages 22 months and 11 months. Say it with me, what is wrong with these people?

Both children were undernourished, one suffering from severe dehydration, the other from starvation. Both suffered from infections.

“They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games,” [prosecutor Kelli Ann] Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

The American Medical Association has been discussing if video game addition should be designated as a mental disorder, like alcoholism. But they cannot come to an agreement and therefore, have not made a determination yet.

"Patrick Killen, spokesman for Nevada Child Abuse Prevention, said video game addiction’s correlation to child abuse is 'a new spin on an old problem.'"

Poor babies. At least the article reports that in foster care, both children are doing well and gaining weight. I am normally not a vicious person but I was glad to read that these 'parents' face a maximum 12 year sentence in this case.

1 comment:

S said...

I actually thought about writing about this one, too. How frickin' crazy is that? I swear, you need a license to drive, hell, even to fish, but not to breed. And it makes me especially upset when I think about those people out there who would love to be able to have a baby. Mother truckers!!!