Thursday, September 18, 2008

This 'n That

I took this morning off from work, so thought that I would post some of the thoughts I have had in the last few weeks.
********************************************************
Last night for the second time, a clerk in a store talked to me in Spanish. The first time, the clerk apologized, stating she was on autopilot. I guess my blank stare was a tip off that I barely understood her. Last night, the clerk spoke to me in Spanish the entire time. I thought I greeted her in English but... Luckily, sales transactions are simple enough that I can generally follow what the clerks are saying.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I am proud to be thought of as a fluent Spanish speaker. On the other hand, aren't the clerks making a snap decision based upon my physical appearance?
***********************************************
Last night, I finally found a dress to wear to the wedding I will be attending this weekend.

I cannot believe it, the old gang will be together again! It has been a long time since we had one of our potluck dinners together. I miss them all, T3, Meesh, Ms. B, Ms. S, BJ & Chrispy. Now we have the addition of two partners as well. (Is the plural of spouses, spice?) Why is it as we get older, it is so hard to gather a group of people together? And we are not even that old! Between exhausting jobs, commuting, heavy school loads for three of us, and two people living out of town... it makes me sad. I use to organize these dinners because these people are important to me and I wanted to be sure that I got to see them at least once a month. I never thought that was too much to ask. But the dinners kept getting further & further apart until there were only 4 people involved.

I am super excited and glad that we are seeing each other for a happy occasion. We will have to be sure to get a picture of all of us, the original gang.
***********************************************
All the media and multiple bloggers are talking about Sarah Palin. (if you missed the SNL opening skit this last weekend, you have to see it. It was great). I have only this to say and then I will post no more on this topic.

I am sick to death of all the media reports and articles that state women are flocking to the Republican party just because they have a female candidate. Hello! Where were all these reports when Hillary was running? Is our society really that backwards that we vote solely based on gender? Really? I mean, REALLY? I believe in gender equality, the same society rules that constrain women also constrain men and transgendered individuals. If we truly believe in gender equality as a nation, a candidate's gender should make no difference, we should be voting on their qualifications as a leader and on their stances on the issues. That being said, I am not happy about ANY of our choices for U.S. President or V.P. There were better choices.

1 comment:

S said...

Wow, that is a much cuter dress than I'll be wearing. I cannot wait to see everyone. This is going to be great. And I'm so glad that we're getting together for a super happy event!!! xoxo