Sunday, December 06, 2009

A Sad Reminder

I just found out that my great aunt Julia tore out half of her journal page for this past Thursday, she didn't want to remember the funeral. She also called her younger sister and left a message, not knowing why my grandmother didn't pick up. 97 and she is the last of the five Godoy sisters alive.

My mom's cousin Sally is responsible for reminding her mother that my grandma is gone. Sally also told my mom that when she told great aunt Julia, aunt Julia cried and said, "Not my baby sister. Why did she leave me?"

Great aunt Julia has been in great shape up until this past April when she fell and broke her hip. Since then, she has been confined to a bed at a rehabilitation hospital. My parents say that she is still as cheerful as always but that you can see her mental agility declining since she has no stimulation like she did when she was living with her daughter Sally. But still, if I am as healthy as great aunt Julia is at 97, I will consider myself blessed.

Here are two pictures of the sisters together. In the first photo, great aunt Julia is on the right and my grandmother is on the left.A more recent photo of great aunt Julia and grandma

No comments: