Monday, July 28, 2008

Rising Costs

Not groceries or gas but school.

I started looking into PhD programs this month, seriously looking into them and I know I shouldn't, but I keep looking at what it is going to cost me. California has one of the lowest costs to attend college and since I am a residence, I am in an even lower cost bracket.

By attending Cal State Universities for both my B.A. and M.A., I figure that each of my degrees cost about $10,000.

Now in contrast, for one year at a couple of the universities I have been looking at:

$9,481 UC Irvine
$9,670 UCLA
$10,178/$14,336 UT Austin (depends on number of units)
$11,198 UC Santa Cruz
$21,714 Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
$29,661 Northwestern University
$33,836 USC

Most PhD programs offer full funding for their students, which is part of the reason it is so competitive but still....jeez a lou!

So that is part of the reason I have been so distracted and not posting lately. I have a lot on my mind.

No comments: