Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life

This week, I received two pieces of news that made me incredibly sad.

On Monday I found out that a retired professor in the Chicana/o Studies department was killed in an auto accident on Friday. I did not have the opportunity to work with her professionally but I did meet her and liked her immensely. I remember her as sharp witted and very kind. It is shocking to hear news of someone who passes so quickly and unexpectedly. The outpouring of remembrance and shock being expressed via email through the department, college of humanities and professional organization we all belong to is sad and bittersweet at the same time.

This morning, my mom received an email. My cousin found out that she has a 1 cm tumor in her breast. Yes, its the big C. I am trying to think positive and remember that she has good medical coverage but I am frightened for her and her family - especially her daughters who are on the verge of becoming teenagers. We are all praying for the best and trying to honor her wishes to not talk about it but this is scary. Now on to treatment and the whole family rallying to help with meals and watching the girls as she embarks on medical treatment.

Both bring the frailty and mortality of humankind to the forefront of my consciousness. Life is so precious, we must make every effort to enjoy and appreciate each moment.

1 comment:

Coco said...

Hey Mars, I know I'm far away but I'm thinking about you and your family. I hope things are going well. MUAH!