Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In other good news..


I found out this weekend that I have received a federal grant for the 2006-2007 school year. It pays my tuition in full for both semesters. I was in shock when I saw the financial aid award I had received. It had also already been accepted, which I knew I hadn’t done so I called the financial aid office.

The woman who helped me was very nice. I hadn’t recalled applying for any grants but apparently, when I filled out and submitted the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online, it automatically entered me in the grant program. The lady told me that I barely qualified due to my income, this was the only grant I was eligible for as a Grad student and that the school automatically accepted the award for me since they figured I would want the free money.

Moral of the story, if you are in school, even if you don’t think you qualify, file your FAFSA online every year. Its free and you may get a pleasant surprise. After filling out the form the first time, they have a very cool, reapply feature for the next year which auto populates the fields for you but still allows you to update any information that has changed. Take a couple hours, and fill it out.

Here is the link if you need it.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

2 comments:

Coco said...

um, hooray!

S said...

That is awesome. I am so happy to hear about that. Everyone could use a little free money!