Thursday, May 11, 2006

Letter # 5

Dear M_____,

Congratulations! On behalf of California State University, Northridge, I am pleased to offer you admission to the University for the Fall 2006 Semester.

If you have questions about your admissions, you can contact the Office of Admissions and Records at XXX-XXX-XXX. Admissions and Records will be contacting you by e-mail with news about registration and other important information.

CSU Northridge is an exciting, dynamic campus that will provide you with an array of rich and diverse academic and cultural experiences, as well as important opportunities for research and community service. Enclosed with this admissions letter is the “Getting Started” booklet which will help you become familiar with the full range of curricular and extracurricular opportunities the campus community has prepared for you.

We are pleased that you have chosen to attend California State University, Northridge, and trust that your enrollment here will be both rewarding and enjoyable. Once again, congratulations on your admissions and the start of your collegiate career.

Sincerely,
Jolene Koester
President


For my two readers who I do not see on a regular basis and haven’t told face to face about my admissions. Ah yes, sweet success at last! A collective sigh of relief was exhaled by my family when I received this letter in the mail on May 5th. Ehem, so its taken me a little while to post the good news, I was celebrating.

So casual, this letter of acceptance, in contrast to the rejection letters. I guess schools think that if they are telling you no, they should be as formal and polite as possible, but when saying you made it in, they address you as a personal friend or family member.

Its a conditional acceptance, since I am switching majors from Theater Arts to Communications. I am required to take two undergraduate classes on campus – Rhetorical Theory and Communication Theory. I don’t mind too much, except these courses are not being offered in Summer Session as far as I can tell. So my two year program will probably turn into a two and a half year program. Unless I want to carry a really heavy class load for a couple semesters. It would mean less of a social life, which would be really hard for me. As an undergrad, I had no life besides working in and for my major. That was no fun. I don’t actually remember much of my early twenties. There was a period of time there when I didn’t go to a movie, for a couple years actually.

Its all about balancing the various aspects of your life, school, work, family and friends. Speaking of work-ha ha, did you like that segue?- I don’t know what I am going to do about my job. I could quit and look for something on campus that is part time. Or I could approach my boss about converting my position to a part time position and renegotiate my hours each semester to accommodate my classes.

There are benefits to both options. I’ve been a full time graduate student and worked 40+ hours at the same time. That was my last graduate program, the one I dropped out of after one year. Working that much was not a contributing factor to my leaving the program. I was pretty crazy by the time I left my job and barely managed to salvage my grades. I want to keep as high a GPA as possible in Graduate school, it will look better for any PhD program I apply to.

However, if my boss will let me convert to part time, there are the benefits of the pay rate I am currently at and I can extend and keep my benefits. Which if you have read previous posts are quite good. At least in my experience. Keeping some kind of healthy coverage is very important to me. Paying out of pocket for the Dentist is a nightmare.

Okay, this is a long enough post for today. And not even a picture to break all the writing up. How about a picture of the party I threw to celebrate my good news?



Related Posts

Letter 1
Letter 2 - sort of
Letters 3 and 4

No comments: