Friday, May 26, 2006

Weird Dream


I had a weird dream last night. I dreamt that it was Tuesday and I suddenly realized that I was getting married that weekend and still needed a dress! I wanted to have a friend come with me so I could have a second opinion but it was such short notice that no one could go. I knew the exact dress I wanted, it was a strapless either princess seam or empire waisted Ivory gown made in raw silk with a full skirt that was gathered in random spots, no train. (Okay-okay, the degree in costume design kicked in, even in my dreams) I didn’t know how I was going to get the dress on such short notice as you have to order most dresses at least 8 months in advance and would have to find a place that would sell it to me off the rack.

Now there are several things that were weird about having this dream. First, the fact that I remembered this dream was a surprise since I rarely remember my dreams. Ms. S. told me that she read that vegetarians don’t dream as vividly as meat eaters. Who knows why but it came from a reputable source.

Second, I’m not even dating anyone, why am I dreaming about getting married? I was not one of those little girls who dreamed about and planned their future wedding or walked down a play aisle with a napkin pinned to my head to marry my teddy bear. I didn’t even own a wedding dress for my Barbie. Now a scarlet and black Bob Mackie designed dress for my Barbie, sure, but no wedding dress.

The thought of having to plan a wedding gives me nightmares. Most of my friends have heard me express this idea before. I mean, the guest list alone.... My mom is one of 9 siblings and my dad is one of 5. Then I have first cousins, their children, my friends - the list goes on and on and that would just be my part of the guest list, we would still have to include his! And the cost of most weddings is phenomenal. I would rather spend the money on a down payment for a new house.

I don't think my mom would ever forgive me if I eloped, since both my sibs are gay. And I have to be honest, even though I would cringe at the cost, I really would like to buy an expensive and beautiful wedding dress. That would be the only part of the experience I would enjoy, shopping for a dress and getting to try on so many gowns. The only decision that I have made about "my wedding" , is no bridesmaids. It would be too tough to select which of my friends I would ask to stand up with me and I would worry that someone would be offended if I didn't ask them...at the most, I might ask my sibs to stand up for me.

Third, I cannot believe that I was that specific about what wedding dress I needed. Partly because the afore mentioned reason, I’ve never thought about a wedding for myself and second because what a dork that my sewing training kicks in during a dream! Yeah, I’m a nerd.

And how in the world would I, of all people, forget to order a wedding dress?

Part of me thinks that I was that dress specific because one of the last things I saw before I fell asleep was my copy of Quince Girl magazine. Here is the cover

This is a new magazine created to show off trends, styles and planning tips for girls planning their Quinceaneras. It’s like a bridal magazine. I didn’t have a Quinceanera and I don’t feel like I missed anything. My dad brought the magazine home for me since I am studying the image of Chicanas in the media. It’s fascinating in a “My Super Sweet 16” train wreck sort of way. Here is the dress in the magazine that most closely resembles the dress in my dream.

Except my dream dress was not as fluffy, or pink.

I don’t think the dream necessarily means anything, although if you all want to guess, I would be trey amused. It was just so bizarre I had to share.

Have a good memorial weekend! Be safe and smart.

1 comment:

S said...

Didn't you mention that you've been sewing lately? Hmmm...hmmm...maybe that has a little something to do with it.

I agree with the whole bridesmaid thing. I don't have any sisters (but have a step and two sisters-in-law). But, it would be such a pain to chose. Well, then again, I plan on eloping...if I ever meet a guy. :)