Thursday, June 25, 2009

30 Day Challenge

So I don't think anyone is actually reading my blog anymore but I will continue to post for myself. (neener, neener neener)

I have started reading a new blog called The Great Fitness Experience(TGFE). I really like it. Today's post was about what people drink in their water bottles at the gym which could also easily be titled, "The Evils of Drinking Artificial Coloring and Sweeteners" post.

Add this post to the experience I had this weekend: I was sitting on the couch between Ms. B and T3 and a commercial for Crystal Light came on the TV. Simultaneously, both of them started in about how Crystal Light is nothing but a bunch of chemicals and artificial sweeteners and just crap.

I had to speak up in my own defense. I just don't like the taste of water. Even filtered, it tastes like dirt to me and I do not have pica. In fact, I am so bad at drinking water that I use to dehydrate myself at least once a summer when I was in my mid-twenties. Not fun.

Enter the plastic water bottle and crystal light packets. I know that there is also some controversy if the reusable plastic water bottles are releasing toxins into your water but I will take my chances. I digress - not unusual.

Adding the crystal light packets are the only why I can manage to drink enough water to stay hydrated. I water down the mix since the recommended mixture is like drinking syrup - I add one small packet to a 32 oz. bottle when Crystal Light recommends an 8 oz. bottle - shyeah right! By adding these packets, I usually drink two bottles a day - at least 64 oz., not including my morning cup of tea and anything else that catches my fancy. That's an improvement.

But with all the crap I have received and read recently, I am entering a 30 day challenge (modeled after TGFE). I have decided to try to cut back on the artificial sweeteners I ingest each day for a month.

I have the occasional diet soda, so that is not an issue for me. I am also cutting back on my caffeine, so I can def. cut back on the Splenda I use in my morning tea. When I do decide to have tea, I now actually use a teaspoon to measure the Splenda instead of dumping several spoonfuls into the cup - hey, my one sweet tooth splurge is sweet drinks - whatev', don't judge me.

Instead of using the crystal light packets, I will be using limes to flavor my water. Armed with my trusty polycarbonate water bottle, a couple pounds of limes from Costco and a Mexican Lemon squeezer, I will attempt to severely decrease my artificial sweetener intake. The occasional drink will happen but I will be interested to see if cutting back on artificial sweeteners will assist in my quest to lose the weight I gained back during grad school (my love handles are out of control right now - I just know how to dress to hide that fact) as artificial sweeteners are suppose to trigger appetite.

I'll post results periodically. Now, back to the thesis! It is down to one chapter a day now to have a 'complete' thesis by Monday. Yikes! Finished Ch. 4 last night, my schedule is as follows:

Today (Thurs.): Finish rewrites Ch. 3
Friday: Rewrites Ch. 1
Sat: Rewrites Ch. 2, print 1-4, proofread and submit hardcopy to chair
Sun: Write Ch. 5 my conclusion, submit all to chair
Mon: rework any notes and send 1-4 to complete committee with Chair approval

Woot!

2 comments:

S said...

I always read your posts!!

Coco said...

p to the s, my boyfriend and I go through two boxes of crystal light packets a week. It allows me drink 3 liters of water a day on average. ug. I should try limes and splenda