Friday, April 14, 2006

Mac ‘N Cheese Update

My brother is becoming quite the cook and had recently asked me if he could look at all the Mac recipes and make one. I handed over the article and he picked the Crusty Mac 'N Cheese. Normally, using the word “crusty” in a description of something is not good. In this case, the recipe is referring to the top layer of the dish being baked to a golden brown and crunchy finish. Considering that it is not unusually for my brother, Dad and I to snitch the crispy noodle bits sticking up out of the traditional baked Mac ‘N Cheese before we all sit down to eat, a crunchy layer is a good thing

I liked it. The crusty part is caused by using real butter at the last moment below the final layer of cheese. It was a good texture. The taste was very light, as the recipe called for a lot of butter, but not very creamy. I think that the final step of the dish to get the crunchy layer is one that could be incorporated into another Mac ‘N Cheese recipe for an absolute stellar dish. I’ll keep you all posted as I try out the other recipes and when I start experimenting with the traditional recipe I use.

1 comment:

zipper said...

I'm so glad you liked it! The last couple of things I cooked prior to this dish were disasters, so it was nice to have a new meal go over so well.