Monday, April 17, 2006

A "Wild" Time


Oh yeah, I had a swinging time this past Friday night.

This Friday was my nephew James 3rd birthday. It is amazing how quickly children grow up. I took some time off of work to spend with the little darling. James loves animals and Disney’s new movie “The Wild” was released on the 14th. He was talking about what animals he would see from the previews on TV and he was very excited. The original plan was for James, his mom and my brother to go to the movie in the morning and I would come join them in the afternoon for hanging out time.

It didn’t quite work out that way. Mom was busy with making James cake and dad stayed home to help with baby brother Thomas, so they didn’t get to the movies that morning. So by the time I arrived home, mom asked me to take James to see the movie - by myself. I have babysat for James and spent plenty of time with him in Italy, but it has never been the two of us out in public alone. I was a little worried that he wouldn’t want to be at the movies with out mom. Adding to my nervousness was because he needs to be in a car seat, I was driving his dad’s brand new Toyota Corolla.

Wait, it gets better. The car had been delivered that afternoon from the dealership and when I looked at the odometer, it only had 134 miles on it. I found out later that dad hadn’t even driven the car- mom drove it on an errand that morning and then I drove it to go to the movies.

We took off with mom’s credit card since she purchased tickets on line and James was very excited, chatting away in the back seat as I drove. We ended up going to the wrong theatre so we were about 20 minutes late. I figure that James is not quite old enough to realize that we arrived late. The lights were already down by the time we arrived, and as luck would have it, it was a dark scene when we entered the movie. I carried James down the aisle since it was so dark and was barely able to see the seats to find some empty ones. I headed towards the front since I figured they would be empty, so we ended up sitting about five seats from the front. James sat on my lap for a little while and then wanted his own seat.

He didn’t say a word during the movie. His little face was glued to the screen, although he would occasionally look over at me or look over at the mom and son sitting to our right in the row behind us. He did well for our first outing out alone. It was a good trip and one I would be willing ot do again.

2 comments:

meesh said...

Wow! Go aunty marisa! Sounds like you guys had a good time.
I remember the first time I drove Shira's min-van with little christopher in the car seat behind me. I was freaked out! You become a very different driver when you've got someone's little kid in the car with you.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. as you know, i am not to be trusted with little kids as i drop them on their heads.