Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Hogar, Dulce Hogar*

*Home, sweet home.

Ah yes, it is good to be back home. It was quite an adventure, mostly in a good way. I'm pretty tired, so I'll leave you with a short list of a few things I learned on the first day I was there.

1. My great uncle Ray was the first in our family to head to the U.S. He made the trip in 1905. So our family is heading into the second century of living in the states.

2. Faucets in Mexico are marked C for Caliente and F for Frio. I was so tired when we arrived that I briefly, I stress briefly, thought that the C and F stood for Celsius and Fahrenheit. How this would mean hot or cold... Like I said, I was tired.

3. You are not suppose to flush paper down the toilets in Mexico. Who knew? Not as gross as it might sound, at least not until I was at the airport to fly home.

4. We crossed one time zone and Mexico does not observe daylight savings time, so we were two hours behind LA.

5. Don't eat the lettuce. No, I didn't find out the hard way, I was warned not to eat the produce since you can never be too sure how pure the water used the wash the produce is.

6. Two tequilas + one New Mexico scholar = I had a new friend. A much older new friend.

7. Limonada rocks! Mexican lemons are small and green and are more flavorful that yellow lemons. The first drink I had when we arrived at the welcome banquet was a limonada in the foyer of the Hotel Moralez. Unfortunately, we were staying down the block at the Hotel Fenix.

More stories and details to come.

3 comments:

zipper said...

Wow, funny stuff. Sounds like you had a good trip...

meesh said...

Hold on a minute, back up to number 6 again. "A much older new friend?!" I need details darn it!

Sounds like you had quite the trip. I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow night.

Marz said...

Oh no no no no no no in the strongest terms Meesh. New friend as in I couldn't get away from him and couldn't get him to stop talking to me and touching my arm and he reeeeaaaallly liked me. In a "Ew you're old enough to be my father" kind of new friend.