Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Question

I was in the cafeteria today and I have a couple questions that I am hoping one of my readers can help me with.

Being a most of the time vegetarian, I just don’t find turkey appealing. Today I was standing in the lunch line behind a guy who got the roasted turkey. When he was offered gravy for the turkey, he accepted.

So here are my questions, isn’t turkey suppose to be a healthy choice for a meal? Then doesn’t adding gravy to the dish make the health benefits of eating turkey moot? Is turkey tasty all on it’s own without adding anything? I always thought that turkey was tasteless but I haven’t had turkey in a long time. Or maybe I have just never had well prepared turkey…

Thoughts?

2 comments:

S said...

I think that turkey is healthy and yummy. I'm not a big gravy fan. However, gravy has calories that I would rather waste on dessert. Just me thoughts.

zipper said...

Hmm… good question!

Turkey (like most other flesh-based sources of animal protein) doesn’t fall squarely into the, “healthy,” or, “unhealthy,” category. When evaluating the benefits and risks of turkey, one must take into consideration many factors, including (but not limited to):

*the “cut” of the meat: poultry serves up both dark and light flesh, and both have their individual dietary impact;

how much fat remains on the serving;

method(s) of preparation: from deep-fried, to oven-roasted and everything in between, the manner in which turkey is cooked makes a huge difference in the final analysis;

additional food served with the turkey: yes, I’m talking about gravy

The gravy served up In your local corporate business park’s cafeteria probably doesn’t come within striking distance of what would be considered, “good for you,” there are methods and recipes for making healthier sauces to wash down that gobble-gobble.

Bottom line: anyone ordering turkey (with, or without gravy) in the middle of a Southern California heat wave isn’t too concerned with the healthiness of their entrĂ©e.

Hope that cleared things up! (Damn, now I’m hungry.)