Saturday, October 21, 2006

New Adventures

On Monday I started my new job/new schedule. I was hoping that I could get back to several activities that I have been neglecting in my life- working on papers before their due date, exercising, cooking, that sort of stuff. And while I do have more time on my hands, I find myself slipping back more into my bad behaviors than the productive ones. Below are some observances from the past week.

What a difference being able to sleep until 7 makes for me. Just one more hour helps me feel alert and have energy through out the day. Although I am thinking that I want to wake up a half hour earlier so I can have a more relaxed morning.

*yeah.. only did a half hour of yoga in the morning this week instead of getting on the treadmill 5 days a week like I planned. And the yoga tape I use is an hour long, I didn't finish the tape. I am determined not to be so lazy and to get off my rump and hit the treadmill at least 3 times this week.

Tuesday I had my first 'bad parking' experience at CSUN. I was an hour late to work because I could not find parking. I went to about four lots before taking a chance that the almost empty dirt lot two blocks north of the campus actually was campus parking and hiking my butt to the USU. Thank goodness I always bring a change of flats when I wear heels to work. I would have been sunk without them.

*I like my new boss. He is 'green' for those of you who are familiar with the True Colors personality system. For those of you who are not familiar with True Colors, it means his personality and preferred style is along the lines of a scientific line, he is very straight forward and direct. Works for me. Although it does take you back a bit for your boss to straight out tell you if you harass someone, steal, lie or cheat, he will do his level best to make sure you get fired. He doesn't tolerate shenanigans. But he also has no problem with me expressing my opinion, as long as 'the door is shut'. We shall see how it goes.

*I love working on campus. Not only is it saving me commute time and gas like you wouldn't believe, I hear more about events happening on campus and I actually am going to get to attend some of them instead of having to run back to work. Next Monday I am attending the first of this year's "Speak your mind" lecture series. The speaker is Reza Aslan, author if the book No god but God. He will be speaking on the status of Islam today. The event is free but is only available with a current CSUN id, one ticket per. They are trying to keep the series academic and safe for everyone since it is a controversial topic. In December, war protestor mom Cindy Sheehan will be speaking.


* This past week I attended a lecture given by Frank Warren, the creator of the Postsecret art project. If you have not already done so, visit his site, The postcards are funny, brave, sad and reveal just how human and connected we all are. New secrets are posted every Sunday. He also signed my Postsecret book. Two new books are coming out soon as well, one in the next couple of days called My Secret and another one in the first couple months of 2007 titled The Secret Life of Men and Women. Frank said that women send in the best secrets.

*On Wednesday, I had invited all my old coworkers to meet me at El Torito to hang out and visit since I didn't have time to visit before I left. As I predicted three people showed up. Ironically, two of them were former employees whom I have kept in touch with. I was okay with that, I knew who my true friends at the company were and if there weren't a bad cold running through the office, there were only three other people who would have come as well. Regardless, a good time was had by all.


Okay, I have to get going. But I wanted to update my blog and get back into the swing of doing so. Ciao!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog post was power-packed. I enjoyed the visual additions; I'd like to see more of that.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a new beginning. Good luck with the parking situation.

Love and miss you,
S

meesh said...

Hey cutie, thanks for the life update! :) I'm so glad to hear that you're liking your new job. That's important. I hope we get to be co-workers soon...