Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dance dance dance

I have inherited a trait from my mother of dancing when ever I hear music. This can be anywhere, in the grocery store, at work to the radio, in some things I am not exactly shy. My co-workers sometime look at me strange and I have to explain that I am dancing to the radio. That usually gets a look of “Okaaaay” from the person and they walk away from me. Can you see why this is not the right place for me to work?

When I was growing up, it was not uncommon for my mom and my Niño Andy (That’s my brother’s godfather for those of you unfamiliar with Spanish) to dance wherever they were. This included the balconies of hotels and down the aisles at supermarket. My dad and my Niña Magda would sedately walk along behind while all four of us kids died of embarrassment.

Now that I am older, I am glad that I had my mother as my role model even though I wanted to sink through the floor as a child. Screw the critics, dance when you hear music. If you can follow a beat, go for it. Life is too short to be shy about finding joy in rhythm and sound.

“Dancing makes me happy-the extraordinary and compelling life force that leads everyone to feel free enough to shake their entire being in the presence of complete strangers.”

No comments: