Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fun with Allergies

Last week, I had an allergic reaction after a family dinner. It was quick. I had just finished eating and we were sitting around the table visiting when I broke out with a rash on my arms. Then I started having trouble breathing. I was coughing and you could hear my breathing. Of course, when I went looking for my Benadryl, I was out. We looked in the other places we might have some and only found expired medicine, so dad and I ran to the local drug store to buy some. I popped a couple and soon my symptoms had gone away.

At the time, I figured it was either the butternut squash I had during dinner or the strawberries I had for dessert. I was thinking it was the squash since I didn’t like the taste very much. I have a theory that you don’t like the taste of a food, you may be allergic to it. I am not interested in shellfish and that is my other, known allergy. Plus, the reaction was awful fast for the strawberries. I mean, I started turning red real fast.

Last night, mom brought home more strawberries. I didn’t have anything planned besides running errands, so I decided to try the strawberries again, just to see if I would react. Sure enough, shortly after eating one strawberry, I started coughing and having trouble breathing. Yup, I am now allergic to strawberries.

Ironically, last month I was treated to a home made dinner by Ms. S and she made chocolate covered strawberries for desert. I had no problem then but not anymore.

You have to love the human body.

No comments: