Monday, March 27, 2006

Mercury in retrograde

As a Virgo, Mercury is my ruling planet. It is a planet that rules communication, electronic devices and change. Unfortunately, this planet likes to go retrograde and cause all sorts of problems. Communications break down, electronic gadgets-anything mechanical-goes on the fritz. Not a fun time for many. Let me pause to say that while follow astrology in a sporadic manner, I don’t actually live every second of my day based upon a daily horoscope. Let’s just say that I believe that there is more in this world that is unseen than seen and there have been too many coincidences between my monthly horoscope and daily life for me to dismiss this craft out of hand.

This month was extra special, with Mercury retrograde from March 2 through March 25. Mercury retrograde is not always a bad thing. Retrogrades are a good time to go back and review or revisit work you have already completed or performed. Often these review periods can be very helpful in correcting issues or resolve a matter at hand. I used this retrograde to address some personal history and was grateful that Mercury had been kind enough to leave my electronics alone.

Or so I had thought.

I took Friday off of work for a couple doctor’s appointments. As weird as this statement may seem, I dread having a day off because I usually have a couple problems waiting for me to address upon my return. What ever will they do when I want to take almost a full week off at the end of June? These issues are never simple and never fun. Can you tell I love my job?

Mercury left me a little present on it’s way out of retrograde, one that I discovered upon my return to the office.

First thing I do every morning is log into my computer and send an email to my two managers letting them know that I’m here for the day. Its better than having to punch a time clock but still pretty lame. But I digress.

This morning, I tried to open a new email and received an error message. In addition, all the folders I created to organize my emails and the 300+ emails in my inbox were gone. My first thought was, “Oh crap.” My second thought was, thank goodness tech support is in already and I called out IT help desk.

We have a wonderful IT group. We really do. I haven’t met or worked with them all but there are 3 or 4 that I work with regularly and they are fantastic. I couldn’t ask for nicer or more responsible Tech people. I told the gentleman who answered the phone and after much fussing and using remote access to get onto my computer, two reboots later, all my files and emails appeared and I was able to send my daily emails. I then proceeded to open up the other programs I use daily had had to get help with two of the other programs I use daily. They were very nice each time and they eventually got me up and running. Yay techies! I didn't’t have the heart to call them back this afternoon when I discovered that my word doesn't have spell check anymore. (Hence any typos you might see on this entry. I will try to catch them but …) I’ll call them tomorrow., spread out the helplessness over a couple of days.

P.S. Oh yes, and my whole fear about getting dumb comments about my glasses since it is my first day wearing my glasses to work, I got the exact comment I thought I would. “Oh your glasses are so thick. I didn’t think they would be that thick…" *sigh* And from my favorite person at work too, one of my friends. My response to her was, “Did you really just say that?” Ah well, it was bound to happen. I survived. The other comment I have been getting a lot is, “New glasses?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello u... remember that your are brave and beutiful.