Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hungry?


Just when I thought that our government couldn’t be more wasteful with our time. How Naïve I was. I ran across this article today in which two senators from Massachusetts are going head to head over how often Fluffernutter sandwiches can be served at local schools. Having grown up and lived all my life in California, my first response when reading the headline was, "Fluffer-what?"

A Fluffernutter sandwich is apparently a combination of Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter, preferably on white bread. Doesn’t really appeal to me but I hear that it is a staple in New England cuisine.

Sen. Jarrett Barrios “plans to file legislation that would ban schools from offering the local delicacy more than once a week as the main meal of the day.” Upon hearing about this proposed limitation as to how often Fluffernutters can be served, Representitive Kathi-Anne Reinstein responded with a proposal to designate the Fluffernutter as the “official sandwich of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.”

“An aide to Barrios insisted the senator is not anti-Fluff and even plans to co-sponsor Reinstein’s bill, although he still believes schools should cut back on Fluffernutters.”

I wish I were making this up but this is all true. Wow, way to go legislators!



I wanna work for the government.

2 comments:

meesh said...

This could become as polarizing as the abortion debate. I se an appointment in front of the Supreme Court if they can't reslove this.

BTW, egg whites and sugar on white bread three or more times a week...and we wonder why kids are getting fat?!

Coco said...

yum! I mean...er. You know what I realized. I wrote you an email thanking you for the AWESOME CD you sent Melanie and I...and I never pressed send. Maybe I've been consuming too many fluffernutters and my brain is now full of overprocessed crap.

You're the bomb. I'll send you an email about your coolness after I finish this last bite.... just kidding!

and yah, why are they so worried about fluffernutters? a more broad health platform could be more effective. Going after "fluffernutters" (which sounds like a froufy speedo to me) is like attacking cookies...not junk food, just cookies. big dorks