Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Countdown

Jeez, I can’t believe it is August already. Yet I know the calendar is correct and it says August 1st. August means one thing to me, countdown to my birthday.

Yes, that’s right, shopping days left til my birthday.

Now, it may seam a little weird that I countdown to my birthday like it is some major holiday but I have issues, lord do I have issues. My birthday is one of them. There is this trend among my friends, and please, since most of you read this, don’t take this as a scolding – I am just relaying past events –there is a trend of forgetting my birthday. Yes, that’s right, last year I got exactly two phone calls acknowledging my birthday. Ironically, I had one friend call me a day early but hey, she still remembered so that was awesome. Because I was pretty hurt that I didn’t hear from anyone else, not even a email a day late.

I only brought up how much it hurt me to two of my friends at the time so this may be news to a couple people. This is another of my issues. As opinionated and loudmouth as I can be about women’s issues, I cannot seem to speak up when I am hurt by those around me.

It is still a concept that I struggle with but my therapist says that I have the right to ask for what I want. So here it goes:

I want my actual birthday to be acknowledged by those people who are close to me. The actual day. It doesn’t even have to be in the form of a phone call, a two line email is enough for me. As long as it is sent by 11:59 PM on August 24. I don’t want a huge party thrown or fancy gifts just a couple simple words. Happy birthday. On the actual day.

So to clear up a common mistake among my friends, let me clarify. My birthday is on August


I feel like a complete ass posting this.

3 comments:

S said...

Yay, my brain was gone, but I made sure that I called.

Don't worry! I'm the same way, too, when it comes to my birthday. It ought to be an international holiday.

Marz said...

Yeah, you called me from Texas. You were helping your brother move last year around that time. I thought it was incredibly sweet. Funny though, you are not the only one who thinks my B-day is another day than the 24th. In some ways, I find it hilarious.

Because I have realized how important it is to me, I have made a bigger effort over the past year to acknowledge people’s birthdays on the actual day. Or if I miss it, like in the case of Gingerstep last month, I send a belated birthday email card.

I have come to see birthdays as a chance to tell the birthday person how glad you are that they were born and how glad you are that they are in your life. December keeps me hopping but you and the couple other December babies are worth it.

Coco said...

So the 24th!!! I new it was in august, I just couldn't remember what day. I have similar issues with Birthday...I LOVE MY BIRTHDAY! So girl, I'll keep it on the calender. One of my other issues is I tend to throw bday parties...for myself. I suggest you take up this issue Marz...it's fun, you party how you want and your friends automatically remember cuz you invited them! Whatever you decide, I hope your going to celebrate somehow. Otherwise, I have to come back to the states and kick your ass and wish you the happiest myself! tee hee.

btw, what are you doing for halloween. Bren and I are having a little party if you'd like to join (although I know it's quite a drive so we're not hurt if you decline and party in the valley) this shouldve been an email. oy vey