Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lemme 'xplain

"No there is too much, lemme sum up."
If you can name the movie that quote is from, you are a rock star.

Any who, I know there were probably a couple raised brows when all two of my loyal readers saw that I was working 8 to midnight yesterday. After all, I work at a University campus, what the heck was I doing working so late?

The union actually does this really cool late night program called Matador Nights. (We are the Matadors, just in case you didn't know). It is brand new this year. The idea is, we host these late night programs free to students with valid ID and they can bring one guest. We started with four this year, two at the main union and two at the satellite union.

Last night was Mardi Gras theme.
As a new Graduate Assistant, (Oh yeah, I still have to write about that promotion, don't I?) I figured that I should actually make it to the event this time. I have been joking that i was slowly building up to being involved: I knew about the first one(Halloween), I helped with set up for the second one (Winterfest) and was actually going to attend the third one. I guess with the fourth one, the only way to be more involved is to be on the planning committee. We shall see.

But I digress, with good reason as I will explain in a little bit. Last night I headed over early at 6:00 to help setup. It was so windy and cold last night that we ended up moving as much as possible indoors. Thank goodness I bundled up, I spent a good portion of the night outside handing out:


There is so much going on, I will try to list it all. There were free games at the Games Room, billiards, video games, poker. Next door at the Design factory, there was a spin the wheel and get free USU stuff wheel - T-shirts, pens, pencils, highlighters, key chains, posters. Outside these two places, we were asking for 'donations' for glow necklaces and bracelets for all proceeds to go to Katrina relief. We had a craft corner
(yes, we actually have piggy banks to paint) in the Pub, as well as a ministry group playing music (not a bad as it sounds) and a couple food stations: a drink bar (no alcohol), gator tacos (yes, real gator, farm raised) and jambalaya. Right outside the Pub was a caramel apple in a cup vendor.

There was a DJ in the Grand Salon for a 'masquerade ball' next to the Pub. At the Sol center, we had airbrush tattoos, face painting, first aid table for help and demos, a psychic for tarot cards and palm readings, and a Karaoke room. There was also cotton candy and corn on the cob right outside the Sol center. They at least had a little protection from the wind and it was well lit.

In the Northridge Center, there was 'speed meetings' hosted by one of the sororities on campus. I was never quite sure what that meant, I heard it being referred to as speed dating by our announcer/outside DJ sometimes and there was musical chairs and a hypnotist show later that night inside the main area. Right outside the Northridge center, the gals from some Delta Theta or what ever, were offering Mocktails ("Where's my mocktail?" - name that film - hint: Parker Posey is in it.) and there were fresh made mini donuts. Mmm, donuts....

We had an outdoor laser show, an outdoor stage for one of the campus' jazz bands (really good but I felt bad for the trumpet and sax player - so frio last night). We also had a stilt walker, juggler on a unicycle and a roaming theatre 'guild'(useless couple of wanna be theatre majors who didn't perform at all) outside. Our accapella singing group Acasola (on myspace) performed a couple different places and times. There was also a belly dancer who was suppose to be roaming around but it was so cold (do you notice I say that a lot?) we told her to go from building to building so she wouldn't freeze.


It was a fun night. We started letting guests in around 9:00 and we started clean up at 1:00. I got out to the entrance at one point and gave my previous boss a much needed bathroom break from clicking an entrance count (No WAY did we get an accurate count, there were two security lines with people checking IDs, wanding the guests and stamping hands). I stayed a little after he got back and helped hand out:

Food and drink were free but we asked everyone to turn in coins so we could do a count later and find out what the popular vendors were. We initially handed out 4 coins but told people they could always come back for more. In addition to the private security group we hired to watch and control all the entrance points to one main entrance and exit, we also had several Campus/LAPD officers there. The cops were cool, having worked these events before. I had the chance to chat with one of the cops while we were setting up the hypnotist show


(I was the point person - don't ask) and in addition to having a grand ol' time and being a real chatty Cathy, he shared that he rarely busts student for marijuana possession unless they have a ridiculous amount (intent to sell) because it is too much paperwork. He also told me that in 18 years on the job, he has never gotten in a fight with a smoker but he has with drinkers so he would rather deal with smokers any day. And no, in case you were wondering, I never saw any of the cops near the donut booth.

After all was said and done, I got home around 2:00 a.m. I had a really good time although I am sore from set up, all the walking and helping with clean up. I actually preferred walking around outside handing out beads to being point person for performing groups as I was warmly dressed, got to interact with a lot of people, wandered where ever I wanted to go, got to see everything and hear several of the performing groups. But hey, you volunteer and then go where they tell you they need the help.

Sorry for the really long post, I tried to break it up with as many photos as I could. There was a lot going on last night and I had a lot of fun. I only wished I had remembered my chap stick cuz ouch! this morning.

P.S. Answer to what movies I quoted in the comments section

3 comments:

Marz said...

"Lemme 'xplain. No there is too much, lemme sum up." The Princess Bride

"Where's my mocktail?" Party Girl

Okay, I know, totally random. But when am I not?

meesh said...

Whoo hoo! I knew both the quotes! :) It's the little things y'know? We actually worked that Princess Bride quote into one of the shows at the ren faire in NY I worked ages ago.

Well, that sounds like quite the evening there, m'dear. Who knew CSUN had such happenin events? Maybe I should apply there...wait. Oh yeah. (tee hee!)

Ok, I'm a little punchy 'cayse I haven't eaten much today. I better go grab a snack. I'm glad you had a good time working that event. Sounds like your new job is pretty cool.

Miss B said...

Meesh! you KNOW how i feel about you NOT eating... MArz, you know i had both quotes in the bag. nice eveing, sounds like fun. I especially liked the bit about the chatty cop... yay smokers!