Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Movies Movie Movie Movies...


While I should be cutting up squares of tissue paper for my class teaching assignment tomorrow (you gotta love Grad school) or better yet, getting started on the reading I need to complete for next week, I thought I would add a new post. Especially considering mi primo Jefferson linked to my page on a post about movies. Thought I would write a little something in case one of his peeps stopped by. If you did, welcome. Oh and 'hey' back, cuz.

I love movies and yes, living in Ventura with Los Angeles a hop, skip and a jump away does make it easier to catch more quality flicks. Not meaning to rub it in pero...

Of Best foreign film nominees (one of the categories I am trying to catch all of the films in), I have seen two of the films:



















Water and Pan's Labyrinth.



The other three nominees, After the Wedding, Days of Glory, and The Lives of Others are neither showing in theatres or available for rent. Since a couple of them have release dates of 2007, it looks like they played the festival circuit for eligibility and no where else. Of those two films, I would pick Pan's Labyrinth as my winner. While Water is a powerful and gripping tale, it has slow pacing at the beginning and it takes a while to get into the swing of the film. I walked out of the theatre for Pan's amazed that day. Water, it took me a couple of days to feel the full effect of the movie. While that is also a sign of a good movie, Pan's Labyrinth is one I want to see again and soon. I thought the story was amazing.

I was suppose to try to catch the best actor and best actress nominee performances as well with another cousin but with the new school semester started up and the amount of work I have in my classes, I think that plan went out the window. I did get to see Penelope Cruz in Volver. Also an amazing film and I highly recommend it. I'm not sure I agree with the consensus that Pedro Almodovar writes great roles for women; they are meaty roles but I am still undecided if they are great roles. I think I will need to take a closer look at the film. Yet another movie to add to my collection when it is released.














And for Best Picture Nominees, I have seen The Queen and that's it so far. Good picture but...I felt it left something to be desired.

I am not stressing about seeing the other best picture nominees because AMC theatres is offering a special deal on February 24. For $30.00 selected AMC theatres are offering all five best picture nominees and unlimited refills on drinks and popcorn for the day. Select AMC theatres but it's about time! Mis amigos and I are considering going to this event as the closest theatre is in Burbank. Its only 20-25 minutes away so no biggie.

Any who, I really have to move on to my craft stuff before the night ends, so ciao for now and happy movie watching to you.

2 comments:

S said...

I wish I was doing this with you again.

Anonymous said...

Jefferson here. I agree that Pan's Labyrinth should win in the best foreign film category. I loved Water and I liked The Lives of Others--both played Fresno Filmworks this past year--but Pan's Labyrinth was so unusual in its narrative structure that nothing could touch it.

I like Helen Mirren right now for best actress. While The Queen, as a film, left a lot to be desired, as you mentioned, I still felt her performance would not have been duplicated by any other actress, which is how I measure the best actor/actress categories. Of course, I haven't seen Notes on a Scandal yet. But I plan to remedy that Sunday.

Haven't seen enough of the best actor nominees to make a good choice. But for best film, I'm picking Babel. All of the choices are of remarkable quality this year, I thought, but Babel had a grittiness that nothing else could eclipse.

Love you. :)