Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Thankful

This is my 100th post. How fitting that this post is a reflection of some of the things I have learned over the past year. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I had a wonderful birthday. I heard from everyone, some friends multiple times. So I wanted to take a moment to reflect on all the things I learned this past year and some things I am grateful for.

"Bionic eyes are cool. There is nothing like being able to see the clock when insomnia hits at 4 in the morning."

"I think there is a license frame curse with Colleges. I never purchased anything from my undergrad institute and managed to graduate. But I bought a license frame with the college name on it for my first graduate program and didn't finish it. I gave Ms. S a college license plate frame and Ms. B bought one for herself and neither of them have a degree from that particular university either. Maybe I'm just being superstitious but I am not buying anything with the college's name until I graduate."

"Sometimes, it doesn't pay to be nice to people, they will try to walk all over you."

" I really need to get over my I-don't-like-to-drive and my I-don't-like-to-talk-on-the-phone thing. If I don't, I will miss out on a lot of my life. I'm starting to take steps to getting over these bad habits but I still have a ways to go."

"It's okay to ask for something you want. It doesn't mean that you will necessarily get it, but you will never know if you don't try."

"I've had a lot of fun with my brother over the past year, Yes, sometimes he drove me crazy but I think we have gotten to know each other better."

"While driving to work with a companion was fun in it's own way. I do enjoy a solitary morning commute to wake up and think things through as I drive through the canyon."

"Sometimes you just have to suck it up and go for it."

"If you are not willing to open up to your therapist in the first few moment of a session, you are wasting their time and your money. Just say it, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that they haven't heard before. You can't shock them."

"I have space issues."

"I'm not crazy, there was a reason for my past behavior. My fears were grounded in reality, not fiction."

"Never underestimate the value of good friends. A good friend will disagree with you without arguing, will administer a swift kick in the butt when needed and if they can't be there with you when you need them, do the next best thing and send in the Calvary. Most importantly, a true friend can put you back together with emotional duct tape."

2 comments:

S said...

I love these kinds of blogs! Yay for learning and reflecting upon those lessons. Congrats on #100. With the (lack of) employment situation, I blew past that one without a thought.

I adore you and am so proud to call you my friend.

Miss you!

zipper said...

Congrats, Marz! I can't believe you're already at 100 posts... I think you just shared more wisdom, and showed more insight, than people who've posted 100,000 times. Keep it up, I'm very proud(s) of you(s).