Friday, November 24, 2006

A Man Walks into a Bar...


Although I adore standup comics, it is a career I could never have. I just don't have the timing and I don't think that quickly on my feet (BTW, this has nothing to do with the whole 'Kramer' and Laugh Factory thing).

I have recently read the book He's Just Not That Into You. In the book, the male author talks about about how he asked a female bartender for her number and she responded by telling him that she stopped giving it out because guys stopped calling her. She did tell him she was in the phone book and that he could look her up. Which he did and got a date.

Any way, that is just the set up to the one joke that I would have as a stand up comic. And I've kinda realized that this is a really long set up for what isn't THAT funny of a joke. At any rate, I was thinking...

"yeah, dating in LA is really hard. There are so many games that people play, so many power trips. And I have to admit, I use to play hard to get. Yeah, if a guy asked me for my number, I'd tell him I was in the phone book and he should look me up. Then I'd tell him my last name was Smith. Or Jones. Yeah, that was a lot of fun back in the day..."

I think it's funnier in my head but like I said, I don't really have good comedic timing.


Thank you folks, I'll be here all night.

No comments: