Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Yearly Review

Happy New Year! I know I have been quiet as of late but being sick and starting work on an extended schedule that I am not use to have keep me busy.

I notice a trend among the bloggers I follow closely, which is to list their New Year's resolutions. I don't 'do' resolutions, rather I set one goal for myself to achieve during the year. I look at it as I always have goals of self-improvement but I set one kind of major goal to advance my life and by setting only one, I actually have a snowball's chance in hell to actually complete it. I'll get to sharing my goal for 2007 but first I thought that I would list a few of the major events in my life in the past year. I had a fairly good year and more importantly, I think that I grew a lot this year. It's amazing how much change 12 months can bring. For Me:

I was accepted to Grad school after numerous rejections (I received the acceptance letter on Cinco de Mayo).

I found out I had received a grant for Grad school.

I underwent surgery and corrected my vision.

Went to Guadalajara for a conference. Exciting since that meant I managed to travel out of the country using my passport again.

Switched jobs. Not that the newspaper wasn't exciting but working off campus was really tiring and I love my new job. I have a great boss.

I think that there was more but those are the major events that I can think of. It doesn't seem like a lot, after all it is only 4 sentences but they were fairly major things.


So my yearly goals; I started doing one yearly goal in 2005. Come to think of it, 2005 was a year for big changes as well. Back on topic, 2005's goal was to get my passport. I considered also including getting a stamp in my passport as part of the goal but I didn't want to push my luck on completing my goal. When I got my passport, it was for my trip to Italy and I have stamps from Germany and Philadelphia.

2006's goal was vague. I had a lot on my mind at the beginning of the year and I never set a firm goal. I briefly considered the goals of getting another stamp in my passport, getting an article published or switching jobs. I don't think I actually set a goal but look, I managed to complete 2 out of the 3 goals I considered. And getting published would have been a long shot and I rejected it as an official goal as I thought my first semester in school would be challenging enough (boy was I ever right) with out adding writing a publishable article on top of it. Besides, it would have to have been a completely independent endeavor as the two classes I took in my major were prerequisites and more focused on giving me information for my field than challenging me to create my own hypothesis.

This brings us to 2007. Ideas that I have been tossing around include:

Attending both conferences to the academic associations I belong to. I attended NACCS but missed MALCS in 2006.

Joining both the National Communications Association and the Regional Communications Associations.

Getting another stamp in my passport.


I also thought about what the next step in my path of financial responsibility should be. Considering I have never pulled my credit report perhaps is something I should look into. Or I could aim to not spend over my budget this year. I don’t do it every month, maybe only 5 out of 12 months. Okay, maybe it was 6 months.

Any who….

I also would like to start blogging about stuff I read and social issues instead of using this space as a whining tribute to my life. Course, I make that goal about every three months.

Back to the grind and I will try to keep on top of entries.

4 comments:

S said...

Loved the year in review...in person and via your blog. Especially the links.

meesh said...

You had quite the year, sweetie! I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to see what this year brings.

Coco said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marz said...

Thank you all.

Gingerstep, I removed your comment for safety reasons but believe me, I have your number in my phone, will write it in my paper phone book and will be calling you soon to get together!